After meeting with Rupert (the guitarist) a couple of weeks prior at Lefty’s Old Time Music Hall, we were all committed to recording Cattleprod for our project. Dan had created a Facebook page for the project including each member of the band and ourselves as members. The only trouble we were having was locking in the band to come and record on campus. As older musicians, they have families, jobs and other commitments which was proving to be quite a problem for the timeliness of our project. We assumed that since they play live together and feed of each other’s energy that they’d want/need to play together when we record them in the studio. Eventually we decided to break it down and on Monday 30/3 I managed to get confirmation from Rupert and Damon (the drummer) to come in and lay down the drums that Wednesday (1/4/15). Rupert agreed that it would be best for him to play along with the drummer in order to maintain the ‘groove’ of their live performances as a band. Having finally locked in a date for our initial recording session we decided a group meeting was needed in order to discuss a session plan. We met (officially) the day before the studio session (Tuesday 31/31/15). Dan had been researching drum miking techniques and put forward some ideas for microphones and techniques to be used. We were more than happy with his suggestions, me in particular as I have little knowledge in that area and hadn’t done enough research into it. He’d made up a list of the mics we required as well as some other equipment e.g. headphones, XLR leads etc. We’d had some prior discussion on what our roles within the group should be, especially during recording sessions. As we were running further behind schedule than expected, we decided the wisest idea would be to allocate roles to the most capable individual in order to get recordings done faster and more efficiently, rather than delegating to whoever feels they need practice in a particular area. For example, Lisa is very proficient with Pro Tools and general console knowledge so she was designated the job of DAW/desk engineer. Dan has the most creative and technical knowledge so he was the creative producer as well as chief mic technician. Ananda was an assistant engineer focusing mainly on the miking side of the production (she and Dan were responsible for setting up the mics). I was given the role of managing producer. I suppose I was confident enough in my ability to do this as I had been in the position of assistant manager at work before I began full-time study. My main responsibilities were client liaison, timekeeper and backup DAW engineer. An official recording session plan was written up including equipment required, job allocations and a timeline. We were all more than happy with what we’d planned and anticipated a relatively smooth recording session.